0 Likes

Cathedral of the God Ascension
Magnitogorsk
Copyright: Андрей Бодров
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 13732x6866
Uploaded: 07/12/2011
Updated: 04/02/2012
Zobrazení:

...


Tags:
comments powered by Disqus

Ilya
Img 7033 panorama russia
Ilya
Img 6711 panorama2 3
Ilya
Turret from within
Ilya
Img 7914 panorama 1
Ilya
Backwaters of Ural
ЕВГЕНИЙ МИНЯЕВ
20140724 210753
ЕВГЕНИЙ МИНЯЕВ
20140724 193244
Evgeny Zharich
office
Konstantin Kuznetsov
Mogak waterfall
Konstantin Kuznetsov
Mogak waterfall
Konstantin Kuznetsov
Bannoye, Yubileyniy
Gabdrakhmanov Rustam
100 Pudov Girya in Verkhneuralsk, Chelyabinsk region, Russia
Jaime Brotons
Lightpainting panorama in abandoned church
Jaime Brotons
Aerial panorama above Tabarca
Jaime Brotons
Aerial panorama above the east point of Tabarca
Tomas Kysela
Liberec - hradby
C360.NL - Henri Smeets
The new King and his family leaving the Palace
Jason Armes
Romantic-Dinner-Maldives
Jason Armes
Maldives Holiday - One and Only villa 179
John Gore
Aerial View of Grand West Casino and Entertainment World
Kudo Kenji Photograph
強羅花壇 柱廊 Gorakadan peristyle
Eric Walker
The Grand Mosque - Oman
R Ballard
Bookshop 11 Final B
Martin Broomfield
Trees on a beach. Lindi, Tanzania
Андрей Бодров
The cosmonauts and children of Baikonur
Андрей Бодров
The sailing ship Krusenstern - Tallinn Maritime Days 2011
Андрей Бодров
The full rigged ship Christian Radich
Андрей Бодров
Sadama Market, Tallinn, Estonia
Андрей Бодров
Medieval Old Tallinn, Taani kuninga aed
Андрей Бодров
Winter at Zugspitze glacier 2600
Андрей Бодров
Estonia's Independence Day 2010 celebrations
Андрей Бодров
Church of the Icon of the Mother of God Quick to Hearken
Андрей Бодров
Presidents meet with the press
Андрей Бодров
Пюхтицкий Ставропигиальный Свято-Успенский женский монастырь
Andrew Bodrov
Crews have raised flags
Андрей Бодров
Patriarchal Hall - The Cathedral of Christ the Savior (Moscow)
More About Magnitogorsk

Magnitogorsk is a mining and industrial city in Chelyabinsk Oblast, Russia, located on the eastern (Siberian) side of the extreme southern extent of the Ural Mountains by the Ural River. It was founded in 1743 as part of the 'Orenburg Line' of forts. It remained insignificant until about 1929.The rapid development of Magnitogorsk stood at the forefront of Joseph Stalin's Five-Year Plans in the 1930s. It was a showpiece of Soviet achievement. Huge reserves of iron ore in the area made it a prime location to build a steel plant capable of challenging its Western rivals. However, a large proportion of the workforce, as ex-peasants, typically had few industrial skills and little industrial experience. To solve these issues, several hundred foreign specialists arrived to direct the work, including a team of architects headed by the German Ernst May.A steel production facility in Magnitogorsk in the 1930sMagnitogorsk State Technical UniversityAccording to original plans Magnitogorsk was to be inspired by Gary, Indiana and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, at the time the most prominent centers of steel production in the United States. It was to have followed the linear city design, with rows of similar superblock neighborhoods running parallel to the factory, with a strip of greenery, or greenbelt, separating them. Planners would align living and production spheres so as to minimize necessary travel time: workers would generally live in a sector of the residential band closest to the sector of the industrial band in which they worked.However, by the time that May completed his plans for Magnitogorsk construction of both factory and housing had already started. The sprawling factory and enormous cleansing lakes had left little room available for development, and May, therefore, had to redesign his settlement to fit the modified site. This modification resulted in a city being more "rope-like" than linear. Although the industrial area is concentrated on the left bank of the river Ural, and the most residential complexes are separated and located on its right bank, the city inhabitants are still subjected to noxious fumes and factory smoke.Town status was granted to Magnitogorsk in 1931.In 1937 foreigners were told to exit and Magnitogorsk was declared a Closed city. There is not much reliable information about events and development of the city during the closed period.The city played an important role during World War II because it supplied much of the steel for the Soviet war machine and its strategic location near the Ural Mountains meant Magnitogorsk was safe from seizure by the German Army.During perestroika the closed city status was removed and foreigners were allowed to visit the city again. Years after perestroika brought a significant change in the life of the city, the Iron and Steel Plant was reorganized as a joint-stock company Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works (MISW or MMK), which helped with the reconstruction of the railway and building a new airport.source: wikipedia