Elvas Castelo 2
Catelo de Elvas, Monumento Nacional. Dominando a encosta Norte da Cidade defendida desde o século XVIII pelo Forte de Nossa Senhora da Graça (a Norte). Pertence à grande estrutura fortifcada da Praça de Elvas.
O aqueduto de Elvas começou a ser construído em 1537, por ordem do Rei D.João III de Portugal, para m...
Panoramic photo taken during the Flower Festival ("Festa das Flores") at Campo Maior in Northern Alen...
The site, extensively fortified from the 17th to 19th centuries, represents the largest bulwarked dry-ditch system in the world. Within its walls, the town contains barracks and other military buildings as well as churches and monasteries. While Elvas contains remains dating back to the 10th century ad, its fortification began when Portugal regained independence in 1640. The fortifications designed by Dutch Jesuit padre Cosmander represent the best surviving example of the Dutch school of fortifications anywhere. The site also contains the Amoreira aqueduct, built to enable the stronghold to withstand lengthy sieges.