Haydarpaşa Train Station:
Haydarpaşa Terminal is a terminus main station of the Turkish State Railways (TCDD) in Haydarpaşa close to Kadiköy at the Anatolian part of Istanbul, Turkey. International, domestic and regional trains running to east- and southbound destinations depart from this major terminal which was built as the terminus of the Istanbul-Baghdat and Istanbul-Damascus-Medina railways during the final years of the Ottoman Empire. The first station there was built in 1872 when the railroad was opened to Gebze. However, as the line was extended, traffic increased anda new and larger building was needed. Its construction started in 1906 by Otto Ritter and Helmut Conu, two German architects who chose a neo-renaissance German style.
Istanbul (historically Byzantium and later Constantinople; see the other names of Istanbul) is the largest city of Turkey and the third largest city in the world. The city covers 27 districts of the Istanbul province.It is located on the Bosphorus Strait and encompasses the natural harbor known as the Golden Horn, in the northwest of the country. It extends both on the European (Thrace) and on the Asian (Anatolia) side of the Bosphorus, and is thereby the only metropolis in the world which is situated on two continents. In its long history, Istanbul served as the capital city of the Roman Empire (330–395), the East Roman (Byzantine) Empire (395–1204 and 1261–1453), the Latin Empire (1204–1261), and the Ottoman Empire (1453–1922). The city was chosen as joint European Capital of Culture for 2010. The historic areas of Istanbul were added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1985.