0 Likes

Monument to the 800th anniversary of Vologda
comments powered by Disqus

Shusharin-EDA
Vologda - The monument to 800-years of Vologda
Aleksy Kirilovskiy
The monument erected in honour of 800 years of Vologda
Dmitry Levin
Chapel in the honor of Nativity of Christ
Dmitry Levin
Bridge of lovers
Alexey Yuzhakov
Kremlin area
Alexey Yuzhakov
Kremlin, near monument KN Batyushkov
dmitry-o-belov
r.Vologda. Spring tide.
Алексей Попов
Vologda Kremlin 2
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda
Aleksy Kirilovskiy
Kremlin Square
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda Kremlin
Dmitry Plavkov
Kremlin Square. Vologda
Thomas Humeau
Plaza de Armas by night, Peru, Lima
Jan Vrsinsky
Khotso Horse Ride Break
Vil Muhametshin
Magasin des instruments musicaux anciens, Paris
Martin Hertel
Bassano del Grappa - Ponte Degli Alpini
Jeremie Winterman
Doigt De Dieu
Martin Broomfield
Crab Catchers, Gili Trawangan
Arnaud Chapin
Parade de Taureau au SPACE 2009
Akiyoshi Odagawa
Jyougashima
Andrea Biffi
Panorama dal Prabello
Achim Spaeter
Voelklinger huette gebleasehalle
Andhi Noorcholis
Jakarta View from Grand Indonesia
Mark Fink
The Culinary Institute Of America Kitchen Classroom Hyde Park, NY - USA
Dmitry Levin
Monument to the 800th anniversary of Vologda
Dmitry Levin
Bridge of lovers
Dmitry Levin
Chapel in the honor of Nativity of Christ
More About

Vologda was first mentioned in Novgorod chronicles for 1147, when Saint Gerasimus found a church and village already standing there. Surrounded by impassable woods, the settlement was inhabited by Novgorodians who pulled the ships from a tributary of theVolga to a tributary of the Northern Dvina, thus making possible navigation from the White Sea to the Caspian. In 1273 the city was ravaged by a Mongol raid. It was not until 1412, when the area was ceded by Novgorod Republic to Muscovy, that the town acquired any measure of importance. The princes of Muscovy made Vologda their outpost in the North. By the end of the century, Vologda eclipsed the ancient centre of that region, Belozersk. Its commercial importance further increased when the Muscovy Company started its operations in Russia.