Old Pinsk Gymnasium
Few Belarusian schools can be proud to be so old. The 150th anniversary of Pinsk Gymnasium was festively celebrated in 2008.
Words in Polish “State Men’s Gymnasium” stand on the fronton.
History of the Gymnasium started in 1832 when parish school was moved here from village Kholopenichy. The building was designed by Kazimir Skirmunt and financed by Alexander Skirmunt and other mighty landowners of the region. The Gymnasium was turned into Men’s Gymnasium in 1858. Spirit of freedom and freethinking soared here. When national uprising of 1863 reached Pinsk lots of Pinsk Gymnasium students joined the rebels. The gymnasium is famous for its graduates: Academician of Architecture Ivan Zholtovsky, the 1st President of Israel Chaim Weizmann, inventor Sir Isaac Shoenberg, soviet pharmacologist M. Mashkovsky, Admiral Pavel Traynin.
On the panorama one can see a boulder with commemorative board established in honor of Polessye rebels fighting for Soviet power. Behind a small park a building of red brick is seen. It was built at the beginning of the XX century and owned by Leontina Orda remarkable for her charity and educating activities. Headquarters of Polessye rebel regiment took place here in times of Civil war.
A three-storied building with its corner round was a restaurant and Gregorovich confectionery. In 1939 the first Town Council started its work here. Many prominent people visited this place: Yanka Maur, Mikhas Lyn’kou, Piatrus Hlebka, Leonid Utesov, Faina Ranevskaya.
View More »