The Rockland Breakwater extends 7/8 of a mile into the center of Rockland Harbor. At the end of the breakwater stands the Rockland Breakwater Light. The breakwater was built between 1881 and 1899 with 768,774 tons of granite. The lighthouse was built in 1902 after an appropriation of $30,000 by the US Congress. It was constructed by the W.H. Glover Company of Rockland.