The Balenbouche Estate sugar mill was established in the 1770’s and includes a boiling house, curing house, chimney, waterwheel and crushers, as well as an elaborate 4 km long system of leats and aqueducts. The well preserved waterwheel and crushing machinery was brought in from England in the mid 1800’s. At that time the estate comprised of 587 acres. In 1847, 120 acres were under cultivation, a very large area for St. Lucian plantations. The mill is believed to have ceased operation in the late 1930’s. A “spanner in the works” can be seen in the wheels of the crusher.