The Nordic House
compartir
mail
License license
loading...
Loading ...

Foto panorámica de Olavur Frederiksen www.faroephoto.com EXPERT Tomada 18:10, 17/05/2010 - Views loading...

Advertisement

The Nordic House

The World > Europe > Faroe Islands

  • Me gusta / No me gusta
  • thumbs up
  • thumbs down

History Erlendur Patursson (1913-1986), Faroese member of the Nordic Council, brought forward the idea of a Nordic cultural house in the Faroe Islands. A Nordic competition for architects was held in 1977, where 158 architects participated. Winners were Ola Steen from Norway and Kollbrún Ragnarsdóttir from Iceland. Based on the winning architect’s proposals, the project known as The Nordic House of the Faroe Islands, was endorsed by the Nordic Council and in 1980 Nordic tenders were invited for the project. The Nordic House in the Faroe Islands opened on May 8th, 1983. The cost was 70 Million Danish Kroner, of which the Nordic countries contributed 66% and the remaining 34% was financed by the Faroese government. The Nordic House is organised as a cultural organisation under the Nordic Council of Ministers who is subsidizing 92% of the annual budget while the Faroese government pays the remaining 8%. The Nordic House is run by a steering committee of 8, of which 3 are Faroese and 5 from the outside Nordic countries. Also there is a local advisory body of 15 members, representing the Faroese cultural organisations. A director is appointed by the steering committe for a 4 year period.

comments powered by Disqus

Imágenes cercanas en Faroe Islands

map

A: The Nordic House

por Olavur Frederiksen www.faroephoto.com, 50 metros de distancia

History Erlendur Patursson (1913-1986), Faroese member of the Nordic Council, brought forward the ide...

The Nordic House

B: National radio Utvarp Foroya

por Olavur Frederiksen www.faroephoto.com, 90 metros de distancia

Útvarp Føroya, the Faroese radio, was established in 1957, and broadcasts in Faroese. Since 1984 the ...

National radio Utvarp Foroya

C: Svartifossur Waterfall Torshavn

por Olavur Frederiksen www.faroephoto.com, 260 metros de distancia

SVARTIFOSSUR A very beautiful waterfall is Svartifossur. It lies 2 km north of the old part of town i...

Svartifossur Waterfall Torshavn

D: Vikmars Stand At The Fish Expo Faroes 2009

por Olavur Frederiksen www.faroephoto.com, 470 metros de distancia

This one of Europe´s most important venues - Fish Expo Faroes. This is the meeting place for the comm...

Vikmars Stand At The Fish Expo Faroes 2009

E: Svartifoss

por Rúni Bang Larsen, 480 metros de distancia

Svartifoss

F: Tórshavn Municipality stand at the Fish Expo Faroes 2009

por Olavur Frederiksen www.faroephoto.com, 480 metros de distancia

This one of Europe´s most important venues - Fish Expo Faroes. This is the meeting place for the comm...

Tórshavn Municipality stand at the Fish Expo Faroes 2009

G: Vidarlundin Is A Park In Torshavn

por Olavur Frederiksen www.faroephoto.com, 630 metros de distancia

This pleasant park is about a 10-minute walk north of the harbor on R.C. Eversøes Gøta. You'll see tr...

Vidarlundin Is A Park In Torshavn

H: Vidalundin Is A Park In Torshavn

por Olavur Frederiksen www.faroephoto.com, 650 metros de distancia

One of the largest parks in the Faroe Islands is Viðarlundin also called Plantasjan in Tórshavn. Ther...

Vidalundin Is A Park In Torshavn

I: Torshavn

por Olavur Frederiksen www.faroephoto.com, a 1.0 km.

Tórshavn, the capital of the Faroe Islands, is one of the World’s smallest capitals with a population...

Torshavn

J: The Sanatorium In Hoydalar

por Olavur Frederiksen www.faroephoto.com, a 1.1 km.

 Tuberculosis has probably always been an insidious disease on the Faroe Islands with a relatively hi...

The Sanatorium In Hoydalar

Este panorama fue tomado en Faroe Islands

Esta es una vista general de Faroe Islands

Location and size

Situated in the heart of the Gulf Stream in the North Atlantic at 62°00’N, the Faroe Islands lie northwest of Scotland and halfway between Iceland and Norway. The archipelago is composed of 18 islands covering 1399 km2 (545.3 sq.miles) and is 113 km (70 miles) long and 75 km (47 miles) wide, roughly in the shape of an arrowhead. There are 1100 km (687 miles) of coastline and at no time is one more than 5 km (3 miles) away from the ocean. The highest mountain is 882 m (2883 ft) above sea level and the average height above sea level for the country is 300 m (982 ft).

Climate

The weather is maritime and quite changeable, from moments of brilliant sunshine to misty hill fog, to showers. The Gulf Stream encircling the islands tempers the climate. The harbours never freeze and the temperature in winter time is very moderate considering the high latitude. Snowfall occurs, but is shortlived. The average temperature ranges from 3°C in winter to 11°C in the summer. In sheltered areas, the temperature can be much higher, but the air is always fresh and clean no matter what the season.

Population

The population is 48.520 (1st April 2008). About 19,400 people live in the metropolitan area which comprises Tórshavn, Kirkjubøur, Velbastaður, Nólsoy, Hestur, Koltur, Hoyvík, Argir, Kaldbak, Kaldbaksbotnur, Norðradalur, Syðradalur, Hvítanes, Sund, Kollafjørður, Signabøur and Oyrareingir, while about 4,700 people live in Klaksvík, the second largest town in the Faroe Islands.

Form of Government

Since 1948, the Faroe Islands have been a self governing region of the Kingdom of Denmark. It has its own parliament and its own flag. It is not, however, a member of the European Union and all trade is governed by special treaties.

Languages

Spoken Faroese is the national language and is rooted in Old Norse. Nordic languages are readily understood by most Faroese, and English is also widely spoken, especially among the younger people.

Religion

Religion plays an important part in Faroese culture and over 80% of the population belong to the established church, the EvangelicalLutheran. 10% of the population belong to the Christian Brethren (Plymouth Brethren).

Industry

The fishing industry is the most important source of income for the Faroes. Fish products account for over 97% of the export volume. Tourism is the second largest industry, followed by woollen and other manufactured products.

Comparte este panorama