The plan for placement of the first lighthouse of Hook of Holland dates from the time of the construction of the New Waterway (1866 to 1868). De vuurtorens waren nodig om de scheepvaart veilig richting haven van Rotterdam te kunnen loodsen. Lighthouses were needed to secure shipping port direction of Rotterdam to pilots.
The red cast-iron tower was designed by AC van Loo and built in 1893 by Penn & Bauduin. The tower has a staircase with 111 steps leading to six storeys.The round tower that had a rotating optics 1960 was replaced.The high light has been used until the arrival of the new lights in the construction of the Maasvlakte in 1974. The optics is afterwards used in the lighthouse on the Maasvlakte.
The tower is now used as museum lighting Dutch coast. In this museum you can see an exhibition about the history of lighthouses, lighthouse models, lamp changers, propane gaslights, radio beacons, buoys and photographic material.
Location: 51 ° 58,500 'N 4 ° 07,500' E
In use: 1974 extinguished
Height: 26 meter