Rizokarpaso (Greek: Ριζοκάρπασο, Turkish: Dipkarpaz) is a town on the Karpass Peninsula in the Famagusta District, northeastern Cyprus.
Rizokarpaso is the biggest town on the peninsula. Soil near the town consists of terra fusca which is very fertile. Local crops include carob, cotton, tobacco, and grain. A tobacco-factory operates in the town. The town has two churches: St. Synesios and the church of the Holy Trinity. They are examples of the typical Cypriot mixed style, combining features of the late Gothic introduced by the Lusignans with the late Byzantine style of the Orthodox tradition. When the island's Orthodox bishops were banished by the Lusignans in 1222, the Bishop of Famagusta was sent to Rizokarpaso and continued his work in St. Synesios, the main Orthodox church in the region. Rizokarpaso is partly located in the ancient city of Karpasia on the West coast, according to legend founded by king Pygmalion.
The Karpass Peninsula (Greek: Καρπασία, Turkish: Karpaz), also known as Karpasia or Kirpasa is a long, finger-like peninsula that is one of the most prominent geographical features of the island of Cyprus. Its farthest extent is Cape Apostolos Andreas, and its major population centre is the town of Rizokarpaso (Turkish: Dipkarpaz). Since the Turkish invasion and occupation of 1974 the peninsula resides within the de facto Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.Karpass Peninsula is home to wild donkeys which are known as the symbol of Cyprus. There are some campaigns carried out by Turkish and Greek Cypriots to save the endangered donkeys in Karpass. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karpaz