0 Likes

Monument to the 800th anniversary of Vologda
comments powered by Disqus

Shusharin-EDA
Vologda - The monument to 800-years of Vologda
Aleksy Kirilovskiy
The monument erected in honour of 800 years of Vologda
Dmitry Levin
Chapel in the honor of Nativity of Christ
Dmitry Levin
Bridge of lovers
Алексей Южаков
Кремлевская площадь
Alexey Yuzhakov
Kremlin, near monument KN Batyushkov
dmitry-o-belov
r.Vologda. Spring tide.
Алексей Попов
Vologda Kremlin 2
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda
Aleksy Kirilovskiy
Kremlin Square
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda Kremlin
Dmitry Plavkov
Kremlin Square. Vologda
Stephan Schaefholz
Corsica - Lac de Capitello
Marcio Cabral
Mysterious Lagoon 1
Adam Czapla
Tokarnia - Skansen - Wiatrak z Pacanowa
Sven Fennema
the silent listeners
jacky cheng
Wang's Grand Courtyard-Place vinegar
Alexander Jensko
Lübeck - An der Untertrave
Thang Bui
Mausoleum of King Khai Dinh-Salutation court
Valentin Arfire
in the Timis River - Banat - Romania
dieter kik
Fachwerkhaus Altkölnischer Hof Bacharach am Rhein 0169
dieter kik
Laubwald mit Schnee Uebersberg Kreis Reutlingen 0617
Dave Walker
Tintern Abbey
Peter Pajor
Ta Keo Angkor Cambodia
Dmitry Levin
Monument to the 800th anniversary of Vologda
Dmitry Levin
Chapel in the honor of Nativity of Christ
Dmitry Levin
Bridge of lovers
More About

Vologda was first mentioned in Novgorod chronicles for 1147, when Saint Gerasimus found a church and village already standing there. Surrounded by impassable woods, the settlement was inhabited by Novgorodians who pulled the ships from a tributary of theVolga to a tributary of the Northern Dvina, thus making possible navigation from the White Sea to the Caspian. In 1273 the city was ravaged by a Mongol raid. It was not until 1412, when the area was ceded by Novgorod Republic to Muscovy, that the town acquired any measure of importance. The princes of Muscovy made Vologda their outpost in the North. By the end of the century, Vologda eclipsed the ancient centre of that region, Belozersk. Its commercial importance further increased when the Muscovy Company started its operations in Russia.