Pinsk. Ancient Settlement and Stronghold.
Under thin soil layer there are ancient Pinsk buildings - wooden roofs of inhabitable and support structures, multi-tier street and yard covers.
Cultural layer here is 5 meters deep and it hides ancient settlement - well preserved bits and pieces of our ancestors’ houses. This archeological monument of 12th-13th centuries is guarded by the state.
In the end of 15th century there were citadel gates called Berestye gates and warders at the drawing bridge over deep graff guarded Pinsk citizens from invaders of all kinds. When a wanderer went out of the gate he appeared on the great Berestye Road that is now Brestskaya street.
In September 1771 A. Suvorov and his troops sent by Ekaterina II to Poland to suppress patriotic nobility after the division of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth entered Pinsk via this road. After the campaign A. Suvorov went the same way to the village of Bogushevo.
Modern Gorky street stands on the town’s most busy place of the past where there was a market; nobility, high priesthood and middle class citizens manors. In fact the street was the towns’ border in 12th-13th centuries. Even now its western part (from modern Brestskaya street to Pervomayskaya street) is bow-shaped and serves as resemblance of the ancient graff.
Kosmodemyanskaya street starts from here too. It is fromer Bolshaya Troitskaya street. People from suburbs came here on trading days to the Old Market via this street and the graff. Now the street joins the central square and railway station.
In 1997 when Pinsk celebrated its 900th anniversary the triangle formed by ancient roads (now Brestkaya - Gorky-Kosmodemyanskaya streets) was marked with a chapel-like commemorative sign designed by the architect O. B. Vasilenko in honor of past generations that were building and defending the town.
View More »