The Port of Kaohsiung was originally a wide and calm saline lake, and the area which connects the saline lake and ocean is now the first port. Gushan (Chaishan) and Cihoushan are on the two sides of the first port, and thus this part of the Port is only 100 meters in width.
There were originally reef rocks in the waterway, which made it very difficult for large ships to pass. As a result, the Port of Kaohsiung was not chosen to be a main trade port when the Dutchmen evaluated the ports along the coast. When the Harbor Construction Project began in 1908, the reef rocks were removed, water depth of the port was increased, and many facilities were also established on the reclaimed land. Therefore, the Port finally began to develop and reached its prosperity, and became the largest international trade harbor in Taiwan. It also used to be the world’s third largest container port.
View More »