0 Likes

Mining pit "Santa Barbara" (1870), S.Giorgio mine
Sardinia

The pit "Santa Barbara" is part of the mine of San Giorgio (zinc), cultivated since ancient times. Built in 1870 in form of a medieval castel (as tribute to the nearby ancient town of Iglesias), it contained a large steam machine that moved the mine cage down and up the shaft. The mine stopped all activities in the forties of XX century. The pit was sealed with concrete, the heavy machinery was scrapped. The spectacular "castle" is now in ruins but still charming and is  visible from many kilometers. It is also called "Sa Macchina Beccia" ("the old machine", in sardinian language).

Copyright: Paolo E Mauro Mattiello
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 10000x5000
Uploaded: 30/04/2014
Updated: 02/05/2014
Views:

...


Tags: mine; abandoned; old building; ruins
comments powered by Disqus

Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Mining pit "Santa Barbara" (1870), S.Giorgio mine
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Mining pit "Santa Barbara" (1870), S.Giorgio mine
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Pozzo S.Barbara (1870), miniera di S.Giorgio
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Mining pit "Santa Barbara" (1870), S.Giorgio mine
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Iglesias and Monteponi mines
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
"Asproni" mining ghost village (early XX c.)
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Church of S.Barbara, "Asproni" mining village (early XX c.)
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Wash-house of "Asproni" mining village (early XX c.)
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
"Asproni" mining village (early XX c.)
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
School and centennial holm oaks of "Asproni" mining village (early XX c.)
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Power transformer room of "Asproni" mining village (early XX c.)
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Executive offices of "Asproni" mining village (early XX c.)
Martin Kneth
Hanging bridge over a crack in the Tsingy
Jeongyun Lee
Canadian Museum of Nature
Vil Muhametshin
Latvian band Gaujarts playing at the Fontaine Fire Bar in Liepaja
Takács István
Venezia, Gondolas Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari
Vil Muhametshin
Cabin of the Soviet heavy transport helicopter Mi-6, Riga Aviation Museum
Simona Bartolomei
Alabaster Artist at Work
Martin Kneth
Climb up on top of the Tsingy
Martin Kneth
View from a dune over Antzavoni
ecnsa2010
東河橋 P4
Saša Stojanović
Golubac fortress (Golubačka tvrđava)
Takács István
Kikotve
Takács István
Szigliget Castle
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Matzaccara and Carbonia and S.Antioco lagoon
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Porto Pino, anti-ship battery Candiani (WW2)
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Porto Pino, Sardinia
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Porto Pinetto beach in fall, S.Anna Arresi
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Church of Our Lady of the Pillar (1307) and Pillar Square
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Sant'Antioco, Nido dei Passeri cliffs
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Porto Pino, beach no.1 and Camping Sardegna entrance
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Porto Paglia, spanish tower (1577), ruins
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Coa 'e Cuaddus beach
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
White sand dunes "Is Arenas Biancas"
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Porto Pino beach, 31 july 2013
Paolo e Mauro Mattiello
Abandoned railway viaduct (built in early XX cent.)
More About Sardinia

Sardinia is the second-largest island in the Mediterranean Sea (after Sicily). The area of Sardinia is 24,090 square kilometres (9,301 sq mi). The island is surrounded (clockwise from north) by the French island of Corsica, the Italian Peninsula, Tunisia and the Balearic Islands. Sardinia is a constitutional part of Italy, with a special statute of regional autonomy under the Italian Constitution. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sardinia