New Market is a market in Kolkata situated on Lindsay Street. Technically, it referred to an enclosed market but today in local parlance the entire Lindsay Street shopping area is often known as New Market. New Market was thrown open with fanfare to the English populace on January 1, 1874. New Market was formally christened Sir Stuart Hogg Market on December 2, 1903. Sir Stuart then Calcutta Corporation’s chairman, had tenaciously supported the plans for building New Market. To this day, a painting of Sir Stuart Hogg adorns Calcutta Corporation’s portrait gallery.This name was later shortened to Hogg Market. Bengali society, in the British Raj era, called it Hogg Saheber Bajaar, a name which is sometimes still used alongside the name New Market. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Market,_Kolkata
To almost all who live here and all who visit,a city of intense humanity, riddled by paradox and disparity, yet rich in urban custom, human enterprise and local milieu. The city of 2 Nobel Laureates Mother Teresa & Tagore.