The word Baglio comes from the Latin ballium and recalls the English bailey or old bailey. It denotes a building with a rectangular or square court yard and a fortified wall belt. It is the continuation and enlargement of the vallum originally consisting of a wooden fence protecting the territory. In the Norman age it becomes the baglu or bagghiu used to extract oil and for the production of cinnamon sugar.
At the end of the 18th century, the first bagli started to appear in western Sicily, in the Marsala area. They were wine factories operated by the English enterprises of John Woodhouse and Benjamin Ingham.
In 1891-92 there were already nine big enterprises and bagli operating in this area. The art of the cooper was flourishing due to the need for the construction and maintenance of high quality barrels made of oak wood. These barrels protected the delicate procedure of wine ageing while keeping the natural essences and flavouring aromas.
THE BIESINA BAGLIO
It is the seat of the Museum of Rural Culture where tools and instruments to cultivate the earth are displayed. It testifies a long-lasting tradition carried on by the preceding generations who gave birth to thriving hand-crafted activities and cooperative associations which helped the local culture to develop.
View More »