Projections and Nav Modes
  • Normal View
  • Fisheye View
  • Architectural View
  • Stereographic View
  • Little Planet View
  • Panini View
Click and Drag / QTVR mode
Share this panorama
For Non-Commercial Use Only
This panorama can be embedded into a non-commercial site at no charge. Read more
Do you agree to the Terms & Conditions?
For commercial use, contact us
Embed this Panorama
For Non-Commercial Use Only
For commercial use, contact us
License this Panorama

Enhances advertising, editorial, film, video, TV, Websites, and mobile experiences.


1 Like

Bauska Castle Dragon Eggs

Bauska Castle (Latvian: Bauskas Pils; German: Schloss Bauske) is a complex consisting of the ruins of an earlier castle and a later palace on the outskirts of the Latvian city of Bauska.

The impressive castle, the remains of which were recently restored, stands on the narrow peninsula at the confluence of the rivers Mūsa and Mēmele where they form the Lielupe river. In ancient times, the hill was the site of an ancient Semigallian fortress. The first stone buildings were established between 1443 and 1456 by the Livonian branch of the Teutonic Knights and construction continued till the end of the 16th century. The old section of the castle featured a great watch tower, 3.5 meter thick walls, a prison under the tower, a garrison, and a drawbridge at the gates. After the collapse of the Teutonic Order in this area in 1562, Bauska Castle became the residence of the Dukes of Courland, for whom the adjacent palace was built in the 17th century. In 1702, during the Great Northern War, both castle and palace were blown up and left abandoned.


Copyright: Saulius Baublys
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 13614x6807
Taken: 06/08/2011
Uploaded: 25/09/2011
Updated: 23/03/2015


Tags: bauska; bauska castle; castle; ruins; latvia; building
comments powered by Disqus
More About Latvia