Piazza Lago in Canobio
Cannobio dates back to 909. Wool, tanning and the wood/lumber industry were key elemebts of mediavel times and by around 1200, Cannobio and was granted administrative autonomy and became a ture community of its own identity. The church of St. Vittore,an 11th century church was rebuilt between 1733 and 1749. Full autonomy came to Cannobio in 1342, with overule from Luchino and Giovanni Visconti, lords of Milan.
Cannobio is also famous for a painting of the Virgin Mary which purportedly bled from its canvas in 1522. Shortly after this miracle, a plague devastated lakeside and valley towns, but left Cannobio relatively unharmed. Clearly these two events were linked and Pope Carlo Borromeo ordered a chapel to be built to hold the painting which you may still see today.
The name Piedmont comes from medieval Latin Pedemontium, i. e. "ad pedem montium", meaning "at the foot of the mountains": Piedmont, whose capital is Turin, is surrounded on three sides by the Alps, including Monviso, where Po river rises, and Monte Rosa. It borders France, Switzerland and the Italian regions of Aosta Valley, Lombardy, Liguria and Emilia Romagna.
Its history was linked for centuries to Savoy dynasty: since 1046 Piedmont was part of County of Savoy, raised to Duchy of Savoy in 1416, evolved in the eighteenth century into the Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia. The role of Piedmont for Italy's unification is comparable to the role of Prussia for Germany and his army was the engine of the unification process, ended with the creation of the Kingdom of Italy in 1861. The presence of Savoy in its territory bequeathed a large number of castles and residences.
Lowland Piedmont is a fertile agricultural region, producing wheat, rice and maize and is one of the great winegrowing areas in Italy. The region contains major industrial centres: FIAT automobile plants in Turin, Ferrero's chocolate factories in Alba, tissue and silk manufactories in Biella, in Ivrea Olivetti was an important technology center, publishing in Turin and Novara.