The Sanctuary of Caravaggio (province of Bergamo, close to Milan) is a well known church dedicated to the Madonna, who according to tradition appeared in this place to a farmer in 1432. The original sanctuary, built by order of Visconti the rulers of Milan, was then substituted by this new building requested by Cardinal Carlo Borromeo in the second half of 16th century. The costruction was completed over one century later. Pope Giovanni Paolo II visited the Sanctuary in 1992.
The area of current Lombardy was settled at least since the 2nd millennium BC, as shown by the archaeological findings of ceramics, arrows, axes and carved stones... continues on wikipedia