The Chautauqua Volunteer Fire Department provides EMS and fire-protection services for the Town of Chautauqua, NY (17 square miles), and the Chautauqua Institution. The population of the area grows to approximately 12,000 during the summer season (population 2,500 off season).
This Pirsch Champion fire engine went into service in 1929 and was retired in 1958. During the 1990s, the engine was restored by local volunteers. The 80-hp, 6-cylinder engine can pump 600 gallons per minute.