The Chengcing Lake located in Niaosong District in Kaohsiung, was originally used as an industrial water source. It was originally named Dabei Lake, and built in 1954. It re-opened in 1959 as a scenic area. In 1963, former President Chiang Kai-shek saw how clear its water was and renamed it Chengcing Lake. Also known as the "West Lake of Taiwan," it has a total area of about 103 hectares, and this includes scenic and recreation areas, the lake itself, and the water source, which is not open to the public. In addition, an official residence that had been a favorite get-away of former President Chiang is now open to the public every Sunday.