Comins Lake is located 7 miles south of Ely, Nevada on highways US 6 US 50 and US 93. It was created in 1953 due to the realighment of US 93. The lake is fed by Steptoe and Cave Creeks from the east, and Willow creek from the South. The average depth of the Lake is 6 to 8 feet and it covers 410 surface acres at capacity. The lake was originally called Carnahan's Lake and later was renamed for Senator Henry A. Comins who was an early settler in White Pine County.