Corner of Jekaba and Klostera Street
Jekaba (Jacob’s) Street was constructed in the 13th century and by the end of the 17th century it was one of the broadest streets in Riga. Klostera (Cloistral) Street was constructed three centuries later when the Cloister of Maria Magdalena, after which the street was named, had been transferred into the city’s tenure. Jekaba Street was built in the 13th century, when there ran a road to the city’s cattle-run passing by Jacob’s Church. By the end of the 17th century it was one of the broadest streets in Riga, it was made narrower after erection of the city’s arsenal at Jacob’s Church (demolished in 30s in the 20th century). In 1948 it was renamed Komjunatnes (Comsomol) Street but later it regained its original name. Klostera Street was built in the second half of the 16th century, after the tenancy of the Catholic Church on the territory of the Cloister of Maria Magdalene and St. Jacob’s Church fell to the city. A monumental building of the Latvian Parliament (Saeima in Latvian), was built in 1863-67 in the style of the Florentine Renaissance by the architects R. Pflug and J. Baumanis (the first professional Latvian architect). Here in 1991 the independence of Latvia was proclaimed.
The building now occupied by the Saeima (Latvian Parliament) was constructed in 1863-1867 for the nee...
St. Jacob’s Church (Sv. Jekaba) is the fourth largest church in the Old Town. It was first mentioned ...
Find out more in multimedia virtual tour of Old Riga at Ocean Virtual Tours website - www.ocean.lv