One of the oldest parts of the City was built around the Late Antique castle by the sea...
which stretched landwards a bit more than it does today, on the site of the pre-Romanesque Cathedral and the later Rectors Palace, encircling the City Harbour.
The harbour got its present-day look in the 15th century, the same one that can be seen on St. Blaises palm on the triptych painted by Nikola Božidarević around 1500. The local engineer Paskoje Miličević constructed the harbour in the 15th century.
The most prominent parts of the harbour are the three arches (the fourth one was additionally walled in) of the Large arsenal built in the late 12th and enlarged in the 15th century. The harbour was also the oldest shipyard, and a place where large boats were repaired.
The fishmarket gate, built in 1381, stands eastward from the Great Arsenal. The three arches of the 15th century Small arsenal, where small boats were repaired, are situated a bit further. The old tower of St. Lukes protects the harbour in the east, and the harbour entrance is encircled and guarded by Revelin Fort.
Constructed in 1476 the Od Ponte Gate is situated westwards from the Large Arsenal. The city wall, built at the same period, leads from the Gate to St. Johns Fort, initially called the Tower of Muo. The Fort houses the Aquarium on the ground floor and the Maritime Museum on the 1st and 2nd floor. The present-day street of Damjan Juda was formed in the 15th century, when the sewage system was completed, and building of houses against the western city wall was no longer allowed.
Porporela was built in 1873, next to St. Johns Fort. The Kaše breakwater was built in 1485, according to the design of Paskoje Miličević, in order to defend the harbour and protect it from south-eastern winds and waves. The breakwater thus shortened the harbours bulky chain stretched in the night from the Tower of Muo to St. Lukes tower. It was constructed of huge stone blocks laid over wooden foundations without binder.
Today the Large Arsenal houses the City Café and Theatre, whereas both the harbour and Porporela have become a pleasant promenade.
Photo: Kružne panorame