0 Likes

Duomo Street
Parma

Panoramic view of the access road to the "Piazza del Duomo" from the west side of the city of Parma. The first building built was the Bishop's Palace, then the current Cathedral, consecrated in 1106, then the Baptistery in 1216 by Benedict Antelami. View the Virtual Tour of the Square by Day.

Copyright: Simona Bartolomei
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 10662x5331
Taken: 22/03/2009
Uploaded: 30/05/2009
Updated: 01/03/2015
Views:

...


Tags: parma; emilia romagna; square; baptistery; bishop palace; cathedral; romanesque; church
comments powered by Disqus

Jeff Starley
Liverpool Chavasse Park
Marcio Cabral
Rainbow bridge
Heiner Straesser - derPanoramafotograf.com
inside the church of Ayazin
Martin Broomfield
Eruption at Anak Krakatoa
Jeff Starley
Liverpool Canning Dock
Martin Hertel
Wintertime
yunzen liu
the confluence of the Yaluzhangbu River 2. and Niyang River Nyingchi Tibet
Edgardo Gozun Tumang
Passenger Jeepney along Mc Arthur Highway
Marcio Cabral
Municipal Balnearium
Joseph Svejnoha
Praemonstratensis monastery Teplá at night
King Fahd Glorious Quran Printing Complex
Al-SALAM GATE
Sergej Esnault
View from the roof - Ksar of Aït Ben Haddou - Morocco
More About Parma

The visit of the city of Parma begins from the view of Piazza Duomo characterized by three buildings: the Cathedral, the Baptistery and the Bishop’s Palace. The atmosphere of the marvelous square is the original medieval one.The Cathedral is one of the highest expression of Romanesque architecture in Italy with a Latin cross plan and a beautiful façade with a pitched roof. Inside the church we can find some masterpieces like the fresco by Correggio in the Dome showing the Assumption of the Virgin and like the Deposition of Benedetto Antelami. The Baptistery, considered the transition between Romanesque to Gothic architecture, is due to the Antelami: the plan of the building is octagonal and the façade in pink verona marble.Near the Cathedral we find the Monastery of St. John’s characterized by the Church, the Convent and the Ancient Benedectine Apothecary’s. The church has a Latin cross plan with three naves and six chapels. In the central nave we have the frieze designed by Correggio who also frescoed the dome with the Transit of St. John. The convent has two fascinating cloisters.In the center of the town we have also the Church of Madonna della Steccata, a splendid Renaissance church. Near the the Steccata we have the neoclassical Teatro Regio one of the most renowned theatres in Italy.The visit of Parma continues in the Ducal Park, an example of a french style garden, which houses the Ducal Palace; then we can see the Town Hall and the Governor’s Palace in the central Piazza Garibaldi, the House of Music and the Auditorium Paganini designed by the famous italian architect Renzo Piano. View the Virtual Tour of Parma on my site.