The site of the Glasgow Necropolis, which overlooks the city, was acquired by the Merchant's House in 1650 from the estate of Wester Craigs. As it was too rocky, Scots Firs were planted and it was originally called Fir Park. In 1828, it was agreed to convert the park into a Necropolis. A competition for cemetery designs was held in 1831, and in 1832 Glasgow Necropolis saw its first burial. There have been 50000 burials and there are 3500 tombs. In 1966, the Necropolis was given to the city council.