The station opened on the 1 June 1869, with sidings and a goods shed. The station originally served the nearby village of Haverthwaite, Cumbria. The station has a main building which houses a booking hall and waiting room. There is also a toilet block and plenty of outside seating. The station has a footbridge and a second platform, however these are not in use. Haverthwaite also is the location of the engine sheds and workshops.