The Holy Cross Abbey is a restored Cistercian monastery in Holycross, County Tipperary in Ireland. His name was took from True Cross or Holy Rood relic when a fragment of relic was brought to Ireland around 1233. By the time, the abbey transformed in an important medieval pilgrim place where the people could see the True Cross relic who was last exposed to the public in 1632. In the 18th century the Holy Cross Abbey fell into ruins and became a burial place after 1740, in 1880 the abbey became scheduled as national monument "to be preserved and not used as place of worship.
A special legislation in 1969 enables the Holy Cross Abbey to be restored a place of Catholic worship and an authenticated relic of Holy Cross was donated by Vatican.