Named by Matthew Flinders in 1802, Hummock Hill was the first place of settlement in the area towards the end of he last century. When the town was officially proclaimed in 1914 it was renamed to Whyalla but the hill retained its name. During WW2 the hill was a gun battery and observation post. Today the hill offers great views over Whyalla, Spencer Gulf and the Flinders Ranges in the distance.
Eyre Peninsula is bordered by Spencer Gulf and Great Australian Bight with over 2,000 kilometres of coastline for fishing, whale watching, watersports, swimming with sea lions or diving with sharks.