0 Likes

Railway Bridge in Riga
Riga

Information on the railway bridges over the river Daugava in Riga

  • The first railway bridge over the river Daugava was opened on 1 January 1873 in the line Riga-Bolderāja.
  • Before the First World War the bridge was recognized as unsuitable for intensive traffic. Therefore, in 1914 a new railway bridge was built, but the former one was sold to the Council of Riga to provide traffic across the river.
  • The construction of the new railway bridge was connected with Riga railway junction reconstruction plan of Riga-Orla railway, confirmed on 27 February 1902.
  • The construction of the bridge was started in 1909 and the opening was celebrated on 11 May 1914. The bridge had eight spans and an open span on the right bank of Daugava and operated with two electromotors. They were constructed following the system introduced by an engineer Sercer. The trusses were designed by the engineers – P. Voznesenskis and A. Zibers. They were made in Warsaw. The piers were made by an engineer A.Cimmermanis by using limestone from Kalnciems, granite from Krāslava, stones from Finland for the starlings.
  • During the First World War on 2 September 1917 two spans of the bridge were blown up when the 12th Russian army drawn back. The German army reconstructed the bridge and it was used until the Second World War.
  • At the beginning of July 1941 the bridge was blown up by the sappers of the Red Army. The German army reconstructed the bridge, but in October 1944 all the spans were completely destroyed when the German army drew back.
  • From 1945-1951 traffic across Daugava was organized by using the temporarily built Soviet army bridge, which was constructed in the same place as the previous bridge over Daugava.
  • The present bridge was built from 1947-1950 on the piers of the bridge constructed in 1914. It was planned by an engineer A. Starcevs.
Copyright: Igor dubakov
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 8000x4000
Uploaded: 14/11/2011
Updated: 14/08/2014
Views: 190
comments powered by Disqus

Igor Dubakov
1905 monument Riga
Uldis Bardins
Corner of Kungu and Trauksmes streets.
Igor Dubakov
Missisipi ship in Riga
Autoosta
Vil Muhametshin
Roots & Vegetables pavilion at the Riga Central Market, Latvia
Vil Muhametshin
Art gallery "Daugava" in Old Riga
Vil Muhametshin
Alksnaja street in Old Riga, Latvia
Vil Muhametshin
Pickles stand at the Roots & Vegetables pavilion, Riga Central Market, Latvia
Aleksandr Galiullin
Vecpilsetas street in Old Riga
Vil Muhametshin
Winter Solstice celebration on Alberta square
wongchichuen
D&G Discrimination (D&G歧視港人), Tsim Sha Tsui, HK
Marcio Cabral
Captain Don's Habitat dive point
Marek Kocjan
Auschwitz - Block 6
Richard English
Saville Dam Upper Gatehouse
Natasha with kite near fort Amber
njifoo
Rest in the Alexandria Park
damiano pietrobono
Orobie - Passo della Manina
Arroz Marisco
The swift current of Rio Francés
John Gore
Top of the Amphitheatre
Leszek Cuper
KL Birkenau (Auschwitz II) - the gate of death bird's eye view
Igor Dubakov
17 Liberty monument
Igor Dubakov
Freedom Monument Riga
Igor Dubakov
Img 5797 Panorama
Igor Dubakov
Table soccer at old town Riga bar
Igor Dubakov
House of Blackheads, Ratslaukums, Riga
Igor Dubakov
Christmas tree in National Opera Square in Riga
Igor Dubakov
Train
Igor Dubakov
LIDO Recreation Centre
Igor Dubakov
Railway Bridge in Riga
Igor Dubakov
The observation tower
More About Riga

Originated from a small fishermen village, for centuries Riga has been an important part of the trade chain between Russia and Western Europe. A lively crossroad of cultures and backgrounds for over 800 years, the historical centre of Riga has accumulated an impressive cultural baggage and today is justly included in the UNESCO’s World Heritage list.