inside the Pilgrimage Church of Wies ...
Share
mail
License license
loading...
Loading ...

Panoramic photo by Dirk Albrecht Taken 11:41, 26/01/2013 - Views loading...

Advertisement

inside the Pilgrimage Church of Wies (German: Wieskirche) - UNESCO World Heritage

The World > Europe > Germany > Bavaria

  • Like / unlike
  • thumbs up
  • thumbs down

The Pilgrimage Church of Wies (German: Wieskirche) is an oval rococo church, designed in the late 1740s by Dominikus Zimmermann, who for the last eleven years of his life lived nearby. It is located in the foothills of the Alps, in the municipality of Steingaden in the Weilheim-Schongau district, Bavaria, Germany. In 1738, tears were seen on a dilapidated wooden figure of the Scourged Saviour. This miracle resulted in a pilgrimage rush to see the sculpture. In 1740, a small chapel was built to house the statue but it was soon realized that the building would be too small for the number of pilgrims it attracted, and so Steingaden Abbey decided to commission a separate shrine. Many who have prayed in front of the statue of Jesus on the altar, have claimed that people have been miraculously cured of their diseases, which has made this church even more of a pilgrimage site. Construction took place between 1745 and 1754, and the interior was decorated with frescoes and with stuccowork in the tradition of the Wessobrunner School. "Everything was done throughout the church to make the supernatural visible. Sculpture and murals combined to unleash the divine in visible form".[1] There is a popular belief that the Bavarian government planned to sell or demolish the rococo masterpiece during the secularization of Bavaria at the beginning of the 19th century, and that only protests from the local farmers saved it from destruction. Available sources however document that the responsible state commission clearly advocated the continuation of Wies as a pilgrimage site, even in spite of economic objections from the abbot of Steingaden.[2] The Wieskirche was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1983 and underwent extensive restoration between 1985 and 1991. Die Wieskirche ist eine bemerkenswert prächtig ausgestattete Wallfahrtskirche in Wies (Gemeinde Steingaden) im sogenannten Pfaffenwinkel (Bayern). Der vollständige Name der Wieskirche lautet Wallfahrtskirche zum Gegeißelten Heiland auf der Wies. Die Kirche ist im Bistum Augsburg gelegen. Patron der Kirche ist der hl. Josef. Die Wallfahrtskirche „Zum gegeißelten Heiland" in Freising wird ebenfalls als „Wieskirche" bezeichnet, während die Filialkirche Heilig Kreuz in Berbling „kleine Wies" genannt wird. Diesen letzteren Titel nehmen allerdings auch die Pfarrkirchen St. Ulrich in Seeg und St. Gordian und Epimachus in Stöttwang, sowie die Sebastianskapelle in Wertach und die St.-Anna-Kapelle des Klosters Buxheim für sich in Anspruch. La Chiesa del pellegrinaggio di Wies (ted. Wieskirche o anche Sankt in der Wies) è una chiesa di forma ovale che si trova a Wies, ai piedi delle Alpi tedesche, nella municipalità di Steingaden, nel distretto di Weilheim-Schongau, in Baviera. Venne costruita in stile rococò sul finire degli anni '40 del XVIII secolo da Dominikus Zimmermann, che visse qui gli ultimi undici anni della sua vita. Storia Nel 1738 alcuni credenti dissero di aver visto lacrime sulla figura in legno di una statua: questo miracolo fu la causa di un immediato pellegrinaggio da parte di parecchie persone che volevano vedere il fatto coi propri occhi. Nel 1740 venne eretta una piccola cappella per ospitare la statua, ma si vide subito che essa non sarebbe stata sufficiente per ospitare il numero di pellegrini che giungevano sul posto, così l'abbazia di Steingaden decise la costruzione di un edificio separato. La chiesa venne eretta fra il 1745 e il 1754 ed è vista come il capolavoro dell'architetto tedesco Dominikus Zimmermann. Agli inizi del XIX secolo l'edificio venne secolarizzato e solo le proteste degli agricoltori locali lo salvò dalla vendita e dalla possibile demolizione. Nel 1983 la Chiesa del Pellegrinaggio venne inserita nell'elenco dei Patrimoni dell'umanità dell'UNESCO e fra il 1985 e il 1991 venne restaurata fino a raggiungere l'aspetto che si può notare oggi. La chiesa è dedicata al Salvatore flagellato (Gegeißelter Heiland). (from Wikipedia)

  • Herbert J.W. over 1 year ago
    Hallo Herr Albrecht, bei so einem schönen Motiv sollte man sich schon die Mühe machen und das Stativ aus dem Nadirpunkt entfernen. Gruß H.J.Weber
  • comments powered by Disqus

    Nearby images in http://www.360cities.net/area/oberbayern

    map

    A: Across the Romantic Road near Wilsteig.

    by Paco Lorente, 3.5 km away

    We are near Wilsteig on the called Romantic Road, a popular route for about 350 km that runs through ...

    Across the Romantic Road near Wilsteig.

    B: Schleierfälle

    by Jürgen Schrader, 6.8 km away

    About an hours walk from the nearest car park. Use google for directions.

    Schleierfälle

    C: Rottenbuch - Skulptur und Brunnen

    by H.J.Weber, 7.8 km away

    Rottenbuch - Skulptur und Brunnen

    F: Buchberg bei Buching

    by Reiner Pössnicker, 10.6 km away

    Buchberg bei Buching

    G: Forggensee

    by Boris, 11.3 km away

    Forggensee

    H: Forggensee

    by Boris, 11.4 km away

    Forggensee

    I: Auf dem Weg zum Hörnle

    by Matthias Kunze, 11.9 km away

    Auf dem Weg zum Hörnle

    J: Rodelbahn am Hörnle

    by Matthias Kunze, 12.1 km away

    Rodelbahn am Hörnle

    This panorama was taken in

    This is an overview of

    Oberbayern liegt im Südosten des Freistaats Bayern und grenzt im Süden und Osten an Österreich, im Nordosten an Niederbayern und die Oberpfalz, im Nordwesten an Mittelfranken und im Westen an Schwaben. Verwaltungssitz des Bezirks und gleichzeitig Regierungssitz des Regierungsbezirks ist München.

    Oberbayerns Grenzen haben sich im Laufe der Jahrhunderte mehrfach verändert. Insbesondere gibt es keinen spezifisch oberbayerischen Dialekt.

    Der Begriff „Oberbayern“ erscheint zum ersten Mal im Jahre 1255 bei der bayerischen Landesteilung. Die Ausdehnung war jedoch ursprünglich eine andere: Der Chiemgau und die Gegend von Bad Reichenhall gehörten damals zu Niederbayern.

    Share this panorama