Church of Sts. George, in the center of Smederevo, the work of architect Andreja Damjanov from the 1854th , is one of the first church building from the middle of the last century in Serbia, which marks a milestone in Serbian architecture on the way to a new, national style. Monumental in its size and architectural design, this church was built with the desire to resemble the medieval church of the monastery of Manasseh, who served as a model builder. Together with later raised representative building of the Municipal Court and the House today frames the main square of Smederevo.
The church has three naves, the basis of a cross, a polygonal apse, diaconicon and proskomediju, choir, followed by five slender dome and the massive Baroque bell tower to the west. Spatially divided into a part of the altar, nave and a small narthex, above which the gallery. Vault holds six strong pillars of greenish gray-coated artificial marble with Byzantine capitals connected by arches. The church was designed in the style of Serbian-Byzantine spirit, although the present Appeal plastic baroque decoration, reflecting the time in which it was built.
The paintings and icons of the iconostasis created in 1935. by Andreja Vasiljevic Bicenko from Kiev, with a lot of sense for color harmony and a refined sense of matter. Ikosnostas, choir, the pulpit, the Archbishop's throne, the frame for the icon of St.. George and two nalonja, carved of white marble venčačkog in the Byzantine style of the artist Eugene firm hand Lavcevic from Belgrade.
Photo: Srbija, panorama