N
N
Projections and Nav Modes
  • Normal View
  • Fisheye View
  • Architectural View
  • Stereographic View
  • Little Planet View
  • Panini View
Click and Drag / QTVR mode
Share this panorama
For Non-Commercial Use Only
This panorama can be embedded into a non-commercial site at no charge. Read more
Do you agree to the Terms & Conditions?
For commercial use, contact us
Embed this Panorama
WidthHeight
For Non-Commercial Use Only
For commercial use, contact us
License this Panorama

Enhances advertising, editorial, film, video, TV, Websites, and mobile experiences.

LICENSE MODAL

0 Likes

Kalkar - St. Nicolai, Nave
Germany

The St. Nicolai Church has a unique set of carved altars from the decades around 1500. From the original 16 altars 9 are still here . The St. Nicolai Church is the parish church of the little German town Kalkar in the Lower Rhine region near the Dutch border.

This panorama of the nave shows all the altars but one. In the southwest, only to be seen from the back, stands the beautiful Altar of St. Ann (1490-1500), in the north-west the altar of St. James of 1504 (Dries Holthuys).

In direction of the choir follow on the left, the north side, first the altar of Holy Trinity of Arnt van Tricht (1540), then a newly-constructed altar (Crispin and Crispianus) and the St. George Altar of Master Arnt van Zwolle (Arnt Beeldsnijder) of 1484. To the left of the altar of Holy Trinity on the north wall a Mary Magdalene by Hendrik Douwermann (1525).

The choir in the east is dominated by the main altar, which shows the passion of Christ, with 208 carved people (begun by Arnt of Zwolle, also called Arnt Beeldsnijder, completed by Louis Jupan from 1492 to 1500). The wings were painted by Jan Joest.

In the front of the choir is the new very simple, beautiful altar of Erwin Heerich (2000).

High in the nave is the Queen Mary Chandelier, which was started in 1508 by Henrik Bernts and then completed until 1540 by Arnt van Tricht, Hendrik Douwermann, and others.

Right of the choir, opposite the St. George altar, is the altar of Queen Mary by Ludwig Jupan (1508). The pulpit of 1657 comes from the Dominican church in Kalkar.

Under the neo-gothic organ of 1868 follows then the altar of St. John by Arnt van Tricht (1543).

Not to be seen is the "Siebenschmerzenaltar" (Altar of the Seven Sorrows) by Hendrik Douwermann (until 1521) in the southern choir chapel, in the panorama behind the Queen Mary altar.

The panoramic images were taken on a rainy April day in very low light without a tripod.

Wikipedia (Google Translation): here

To the panorama of the choir: here

Copyright: Wolfgang Guelcker
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 8000x4000
Taken: 10/04/2012
Uploaded: 04/05/2012
Updated: 28/03/2015
Views:

...


Tags: cathedral; church; interior; point of interest; cultural; historic; sculpture; late gothic
comments powered by Disqus
More About Germany

Germany? Before the beginning there was Ginnungagap, an empty space of nothingness, filled with pure creative power. (Sort of like the inside of my head.)And it ends with Ragnarok, the twilight of the Gods. In between is much fighting, betrayal and romance. Just as a good Godly story should be.Heroes have their own graveyard called Valhalla. Unfortunately we cannot show you a panorama of it at this time, nor of the lovely Valkyries who are its escort service.Hail Odin, wandering God wielding wisdom and wand! Hail Freya, hail Tyr, hail Thor!Odin made the many lakes and the fish in them. In his traverses across the lands he caused there to be the Mulheim Bridge in Cologne, as did he make the Mercury fountain, Mercury being of his nature.But it is to the mighty Thor that the Hammering Man gives service.Between the time of the Nordic old ones and that of modern Frankfort there may have been a T.Rex or two on the scene. At least some mastodons for sure came through for lunch, then fell into tar pits to become fossils for us to find.And there we must leave you, O my most pure and holy children.Text by Steve Smith.