Castle Heeswijk is a former water castle in Heeswijk (North Brabant) from the 11th century.
Already in the year 1080 there was a forerunner of the present castle, called a motte-castle. During the Middle Ages was the motte (castle mound) and was smoothed at the site of a castle fortress built. Castle Heeswijk has repeatedly played a role in history. It succeeded Prince Maurits in 1600 on two occasions not to take the castle. His half-brother Frederick Henry succeeded in 1629 as well, so he 's-Hertogenbosch was siege. In 1672, the Sun King Louis XIV the uninvited guest at Castle Heeswijk during his battle against the Republic. At the end of the 18th century used Pichegru, General of the French Revolution under the leadership of Napoleon, the castle still headquarters. In 1835 bought Governor André baron van den Bogaerde of Terbrugge the declining castle and immediately started a major renovation. For his growing collection of art objects and curios, he and his sons, Louis and the Jonkers Donat, the castle was extended including the Arms Room and the Iron Tower.
The castle was in 2005 for the last time. The current castle museum gives a picture of the situation and the collective tradition from the mid 19th century. Following the recent restorations are now back tours of the castle is possible. The Arms Room of the castle serves as the official wedding site of the town Bernheze. In the courtyard cellar vaults are located (wedding) parties and receptions and the Koetshuis of Kasteel Heeswijk hosts conference and training facilities as well as conference and presentation rooms.
View More »