At the beginning
Cologne Residents initially belonged to the parish Farna. When the chapel was built in 1899, which became the property of railways from the beginning, nobody wanted to take her on board. It was only in 1903 when the church of St. ministry. Elizabeth took sądeccy Jesuits. Some railway workers reluctant to adopt the religious arrived. Cologne has been known since the outbreak of the Socialists, who were very hostile to the Church. On the second day after taking the chapel by the Jesuits of May during the parade, greeted them with shouts of: shame them! Down with the Jesuits! "
Railroad workers who lived far from the church and because of this they were indifferent to religion, now, when they had church on the spot, he began to come more often. Some people enrolled in the Confraternity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, into the Society and the Rosary. They found support from other Catholic workers. It gave them a sense of power stopped being afraid and are subject to the socialists. But for many years work of the Jesuits encountered great difficulty of material. There was no rectory. The church was poorly equipped. The Jesuits rented living quarters and attempted to build their own home. When neither train nor the government do not support a double resignation filed with the conduct of the facility.
When this news spread among the railwaymen, they decided to build a house of his pastors. Formed a committee care of the church, gathering contributions. In 1922 began the first preparation. Digging down to the lime employed two men. One of them was of a one cripple. His work became a symbol of the generosity of people who wanted to create their own parish community.
Imperial - royal episode
Austrian national railway authorities decided in 1885 to build a workshop, necessary for the repair of rolling stock. Found a job many workers who settled in single-family houses built especially for them, near the train station.
Train Station in Nowy Sacz
The new settlement was called the railway colony. Lived in it about four thousand people. Although the apartment was comfortable, the workers were not satisfied. After shopping, to school and the church had to walk two kilometers to the city. Klein, Head of the station on behalf of the railwaymen applied to the Directorate with a request to build a school and church.
adjacent to the church school building
President of the General Directorate of Dr. Leon Bilinski acceded to the requests and has committed to build 20,000 schools zł. and the construction of the school chapel 45,000 zł. For ease of obtaining a construction permit is given, it will be a commemorative chapel, commemorating fifty years of the reign of Emperor Franz Joseph. Therefore, the church was placed on the front portal of the emblems of Jubilee, a crown, monogrammed and figures 1848-1898. For this reason, the temple was built dedicated to St. Elizabeth, who was also patron of the Empress, called Sisi. The history of Austrian rule in Galicia thing of the past.
Above the main entrance to the church today appear two dates: 1897-1937, commemorating the start of construction of the chapel and the establishment of the parish. Elizabeth Holy patroness of the church remained a secondary station.
View More »