0 Likes

Kremlin Square
comments powered by Disqus

Shusharin-EDA
Vologda
Dmitry Plavkov
Кремлёвская площадь. Вологда
Alexey Yuzhakov
Kremlin area
Alexey Yuzhakov
Kremlin, near monument KN Batyushkov
dmitry-o-belov
r.Vologda. Spring tide.
Shusharin-EDA
Vologda Kremlin
Алексей Попов
Vologda Kremlin 2
Alexey Yuzhakov
Vologda State Pedagogical University
Dmitry Levin
Chapel in the honor of Nativity of Christ
dmitry-o-belov
Maslenitsa hill
parusnik parusnik
горка вологда
Dmitry Levin
Bridge of lovers
Comi Valentine
Trekking fan and a warmly love Tet of H'mong 2
Pedro Menezes
Madeira Island - Pico Ruivo 2
Bernd Borchers
Cap San Diego, Main-engine, view from starboard
Dan Bailey
Venice Canal and Reflection
Chandra Mirtamiharja
New Year's Eve, Lembah Dago Bengkok, Bandung
Comi Valentine
Tea Hill in Moc Chau 3
Dan Bailey
Persian Carpet Merchants. Istanbul, Turkey
Artur Blaszak
Swinoujscie , coast of the Baltic Sea
Roberto Scavino
Verezzi Piazza, Sant'Agostino Square
Roberto Scavino
Vintage cars in Cannobio
wongchichuen
Ifc2012countdown (國金中心2012新年倒數) Central, HK
Kyu-Yong Choi
Geoje-Island, Republic of Korea ㅣ거제도 나의 아지트
Aleksy Kirilovskiy
Spas-Kamen
Aleksy Kirilovskiy
Kremlin Square
Aleksy Kirilovskiy
Тайбола,Солза (Solza)
Aleksy Kirilovskiy
The monument erected in honour of 800 years of Vologda
Aleksy Kirilovskiy
Fiery show
Aleksy Kirilovskiy
Solza 2
More About

Vologda was first mentioned in Novgorod chronicles for 1147, when Saint Gerasimus found a church and village already standing there. Surrounded by impassable woods, the settlement was inhabited by Novgorodians who pulled the ships from a tributary of theVolga to a tributary of the Northern Dvina, thus making possible navigation from the White Sea to the Caspian. In 1273 the city was ravaged by a Mongol raid. It was not until 1412, when the area was ceded by Novgorod Republic to Muscovy, that the town acquired any measure of importance. The princes of Muscovy made Vologda their outpost in the North. By the end of the century, Vologda eclipsed the ancient centre of that region, Belozersk. Its commercial importance further increased when the Muscovy Company started its operations in Russia.