This village comes under the influence of the road from Merida to Lisbon, whose remains are kept visible until its destruction a few years ago, by drawing a local highway.
Roman road, chronicles the end of the eighteenth century, even the show intact, built on landfill and small rolls.
The heart has its antecedents in the Village of Rubio, founded by the Order of Santiago in the thirteenth century on the shore of Guadiana, opposite Lobón.
In the fourteenth century and because of its proximity to the river suffered from persistent flooding, the Master Lorenzo Suárez de Figueroa, ordered him transferred to a place further from the current population recast the point it now occupies, with its ancient inhabitants, more Some others from neighboring villages, such as houses, Campomanes, etc. The new enclave, whose authority at that time was about a thousand souls, was integrated with the rank of village in the jurisdiction of Mérida santiaguista under the direct dependence of the parcel of Lobón.
In 1581 it was converted into town and purchased by María Enríquez, Countess of Montijo, becoming integrated into the possessions of this Dominion. For that matter, for a long time, the town bore the name of Puebla de Montijo.
In 1644, the population was burned by the Portuguese during the war of succession to the throne of Spain, during the Battle of Montijo, in which the Lusitanian were defeated by the Marquis of Torrescusa
Extremadura (Estremaura in Extremadura and the fala). It is a Spanish autonomous community located in the southwest of the Iberian Peninsula. It is composed of the two largest provinces in Spain: Cáceres yBadajoz. Extremadura bounded on the north by the provinces of Salamanca, Ávila (Castilla y León), south conHuelva, Sevilla and Cordoba (Andalusia), on the east, with Toledo and Ciudad Real (Castilla-La Mancha) and west conPortugal. Its capital is Mérida (Augusta Emerita old), the city recognized by the Statute of Autonomy as the seat of the Government of Extremadura.