Its construction dates back to 1513. It was restored in 1684 but then collapsed in 1745-1747 during some strengthening work.
It was re-built in 1748 as it remains in its present form by Giovanni Biagio Amico, royal architect in Trapani. He maintained its original structure and proportions. Considered as one of Sicily’s marvels, the helicoidal bell tower on an octagonal base is made of yellow tuff rock. It is one of the four Sicilian bell towers that have this specific architectural and compositional character.