Melgar is a Colombian municipality in the department of Tolima, located 96 km from the provincial capital Ibagué and 98km south west of Bogotá, the capital of Colombia. It is located in the Sumapaz River Valley near its mouth to the Magdalena River. Bordered on the north by the department of Cundinamarca, the east with the municipality of Icononzo, south to the town of Cunday and south and west by the municipality of Carmen de Apicalá. It is known in Colombia as the "City of the pools 'or' Sea pools" because of the number of pools that are in this city more than five thousand. The weather is warm dry with temperatures ranging between 22 and 35 ° C, with an annual average of 28 ° C.
The place known as Melgar was inhabited in pre-Columbian periods by "Panches", to the arrival of the Spanish was conquered by Hernán Pérez de Quesada, Hernan Vanegas Carrillo and Baltazar Maldonado, where they founded the first settlement known as Cualamana, then step to be called Villa of Our Lady of Altagracia and 1601 was renamed La Candelaria by Captain Juan Lopez de Herrera.