In 1938, Harvey Fite, a sculptor of wood and stone, purchased an abandonded bluestone quarry in a tiny New York hamlet called High Woods. This twelve acre site became his "Opus" - a body of work to leave behind for future generations. He named it Opus 40, expecting to spend 40 years working on it. Three years short of that goal, he died in an accident on the site, but his work lives on.
In the midst of the imposing ramps and plateaus, he placed his sculptures, but eventually, the site itself became a scuplture. It is now operated by a non-profit corporation dedicated to preserving and sharing his passion.