There are still remains of Roman villas in the area, the most prominent is the Roman villa built Torreaguila in 50 d. C.cerca road linking Lisbon-Merida.
In 1230 Alfonso IX conquest Merida and Badajoz, and with them also the land.Granted to the Order of Santiago administration. Rests the task of "Montejo" will be its first Commander Juan Chacón.
The villa will be sold on January 1, 1550 to the Marquis de Villanueva del Fresno, who founded the Lordship of Montijo. This becomes County by Royal Decree of Philip III on December 13, 1599, his first count will be Juan Manuel Portocarrero and Osorio.
The VI Condesa de Montijo, Maria Francisca de Sales Portocarrero, be the mother of Cipriano Palafox y Portocarrero, one of whose daughters was the famous Eugenia de Montijo, Empress of France, wife of Napoleon III, and another, Frank, who married the Duke de Alba.
During the Portuguese Restoration War, it was called battle of Montijo, where the Portuguese army was defeated by the Spanish.
In the fall of the ancien regime in the locality is constitutional municipality in the region of Extremadura. From 1834 became part of the judicial district of Mérida.1 In the census of 1842 had 960 households and 3860 vecinos.2
During the 50's of XX century, under the Plan Badajoz, is built Canal de Montijo.
Parish Church of St. Peter the Apostle
This parish church under the appellations of St. Peter the Apostle, in the Archdiocese of Mérida-Badajoz, 3 was built following the Gothic style, according to a parish document was completed in 1574, was restored in the seventeenth century, leaving intact the nave floor, lower arm of the Latin cross, whose shape takes the form of the temple today, adding the transept and the header or chapel. The walls of the nave floor are of masonry, reinforcing angles granite blocks, and increasing the interior arches four granite masonry buttresses. At the foot of this ship and on a plinth of granite blocks the slender tower is located, divided into four sections. At the foot of the tower, opens the front door, arch, on which abounds among lions rampant marble coat of Portocarrero, abettors of the work and employers the right of the parish. Two other doors lead into a lintel, and on the north side, now closed, and another on the south side, the most used and decorated.
Inside the temple there are many chapels and altarpieces, among which include the following: Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Altarpiece of the Virgin of Carmen, Altarpiece of San Blas, an altarpiece, Altarpiece of St. Vincent de Paul, Our Altarpiece Lady of the Rosary and Altar of the Animas.
This village comes under the influence of the road from Merida to Lisbon, whose remains are kept visi...
Since medieval times, there is the belief in Our Lady Of Barbana, there is a historical text that say...
Catholic parish church under the patronage of St. James, in the Archdiocese of Mérida-Badajoz. Intere...
Extremadura (Estremaura in Extremadura and the fala). It is a Spanish autonomous community located in the southwest of the Iberian Peninsula. It is composed of the two largest provinces in Spain: Cáceres yBadajoz. Extremadura bounded on the north by the provinces of Salamanca, Ávila (Castilla y León), south conHuelva, Sevilla and Cordoba (Andalusia), on the east, with Toledo and Ciudad Real (Castilla-La Mancha) and west conPortugal. Its capital is Mérida (Augusta Emerita old), the city recognized by the Statute of Autonomy as the seat of the Government of Extremadura.