George Armitsted (1847-1912) was the Riga mayor with 1901 for 1912. Under its management in a city rough building, thus special attention has begun has been given social objects. At Armitstede 16 schools have been constructed, 1st Riga hospital, residential area in Mezhaparke, are laid plumbing and sanitary, the zoo and many other things is based. The sculptural group includes besides the town governor his wife Sesilija Pihlau and a dog of breed of a chow-chow.
A sculptor is Andris Varpa, a foundry hand is Denis Gochiyaev (Saint Petersburg). An author of architectural project is Christina Vizinya, master on a stone Ivar Feldberg.
Originated from a small fishermen village, for centuries Riga has been an important part of the trade chain between Russia and Western Europe. A lively crossroad of cultures and backgrounds for over 800 years, the historical centre of Riga has accumulated an impressive cultural baggage and today is justly included in the UNESCO’s World Heritage list.