Enhances advertising, editorial, film, video, TV, Websites, and mobile experiences.
One of the most charming things about Boston is coming upon old, historic buildings preserved in the midst of the most modern skyscrapers. Boston's Old State House is a very significant historic structure owned by the city of Boston and operated by The Bostonian Society as a museum on behalf of the citizens of Boston.
Originally built in 1713 as the government offices of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, the building was central to many debates and events leading up to the American Revolution. The Boston Massacre occurred in this area and the Declaration of Independence was read to Bostonians in 1776 from the balcony on the east end of the building. It was converted to serve commercial interests and saw many different uses until 1891 when the Bostonian Society was founded to preserve and restore the building for its historic importance. More information about the Old State House Museum can be found at www.bostonhistory.org/
Across the street from the Old State House at One Boston Place stands the 41 story BNY Mellon Center. This sleek, almost black tower was built in 1970 and is one of the anchors in Boston's financial district housing financial, law, real estate and corporate offices. Embedded in the pavement in front of the building is a cast bronze sculpture called Historic Crossings. This work of art includes at least 20 references to events, people and objects that are important to the story of the three streets that intersect here in the heart of Boston.
The Ames Building, at One Court Street in Boston, (across the street from the BNY Mellon Center) was built in 1898 by the Ames family as a corporate headquarters for their agricultural tool business. The Richardsonian-Romenesque style building is 13 stories tall and is considered Boston's first skyscraper. It is considered to be the second tallest masonry load bearing wall structures in the word. As of November 2009, the building has served as the luxury 114 room Ames Hotel. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.