This Jesuit church, dating back to the 18th century, was designated the National Pantheon in 1956 and three years later, it was remodeled and adapted to serve this purpose. Since then, the remains of famous Dominicans have been brought here. The church's construction is composed of three distinct naves. The central nave is the widest and is covered by a vaulted ceiling covered with a mural. The side naves are built like small chapels, each with a beautiful domed roof. Hanging from the central vault is a lamp which was given to the church by the Spanish head of state, Francisco Franco.
The Dominican Republic is a nation on the island of Hispaniola, part of the Greater Antilles archipelago in the Caribbean region. The western third of the island is occupied by the nation of Haiti, making Hispaniola one of two Caribbean islands, along with Saint Martin, that are shared by two countries. Both by area and population, the Dominican Republic is the second largest Caribbean nation (after Cuba), with 48,442 square kilometres (18,704 sq mi) and an estimated 10 million people.Source:Wikipedia