0 Likes

Cathedral Island - Wroclaw
Wroclaw

Ostrów Tumski ("Cathedral Island", German: Dominsel) is the oldest part of the city of Wrocław in south-western Poland. It was formerly an island (ostrów in old Polish) between branches of the Oder River.

Archaeological excavations have shown that the western part of Ostrów Tumski, between the Church of St. Martin and the Holy Cross, was the first to be inhabited. The first, wooden church (St. Martin), dating from the 9th century, was surrounded by defensive walls built on the banks of the river. The island had approximately 1,500 inhabitants at that time.

The first constructions on Ostrów Tumski were built in the 10th century by the Piast dynasty, and were made from wood. The first building from solid material was St. Martin's chapel, built probably at the beginning of the eleventh century by Benedictine monks. Not long after the first cathedral was raised, in place of the small church.

In 1163 the settlement was raided by Boleslaw I the Tall who had returned after being banished. After taking control of the area and waiting for the political situation in Silesia to stabilize, he chose Ostrów Tumski as his new seat. He began replacing the wooden defenses with brick ones and to build a Roman-style residence. more...

Copyright: Robert pipala
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 6000x3000
Uploaded: 04/11/2011
Updated: 04/09/2014
Views:

...


Tags: wrocław; poland; polska; breslau; ostrow tumski; cathedral island; island; wroclaw; odra; river; riverbank; riverside
comments powered by Disqus

Robert Hernik
Wrocław Cathedral
Krzysztof Bialek
The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Wrocław
Grzegorz Rogala
Archikatedra św. Jana Chrzciciela we Wrocławiu
Krzysztof Bialek
Market in front of Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Wrocław
Grzegorz Rogala
St. John the Baptist Cathedral
Radosław Więckowski
Cathedral Square
Robert Pipala
Katedralna St in Ostrow Tumski, Wroclaw
H.J.Weber
Wroklaw (Breslau) - Ostro-Tumski
H.J.Weber
Wroclaw (Breslau) - Tumski-Bridge
Robert Hernik
Tumski Bridge
H.J.Weber
Breslau (Wroclaw) - Statue von Kardinal Boleslaw Kominek
H.J.Weber
Wroclaw (Breslau) - red-bridge-no-171
Tom Baetsen
Monumenta 2012 Grand Palais Daniel Buren
Igor Adamec
Traditional band at Dolac market place
Pietro Madaschi
Italian Riviera - Laigueglia: courtyard near Via Dante
Flyvisionrc
Puerto De Fuengirola
David Rowley
The Road To Geiranger
David Rowley
Nærøyfjord
B.JULLIEN
vue du haut de notre dame de MAI - Cap Sicié - Six Fours
Marcio Cabral
Rio de las Vueltas
Robert Mročka
Ostrava z věže Nové radnice
René van Gageldonk
from the series "on the edge, dunes and dykes": Zeelands highest dunes 1
Lucas Lena
Isla Saona
Roman Efimoff
Club Phaselis Night Salute
Robert Pipala
Brama Krakowska
Robert Pipala
Sandomierz Post Office
Robert Pipala
Biala Woda Nature Reserve
Robert Pipala
Krakow - Rybitwy Willows #1
Robert Pipala
Smolnik nad Osława - The former Greek Catholic church: Transfer of the Relics of St. Nicholas
Robert Pipala
Kanonia Street
Robert Pipala
Lesko - Jewish cemetery #2
Robert Pipala
Collegiate church in Tum
Robert Pipala
Bialowieza, "Place of Power"
Robert Pipala
Paclawska Calvary
Robert Pipala
Szczawne, Orthodox church of the Holy Mother of God
Robert Pipala
Kórnik, Arboretum at the castle
More About Wroclaw

Wrocław was the historical capital of Silesia. Over the centuries, the city has been part of either Poland, Bohemia, Austria, Prussia, or Germany. Since 1945 it has been part of Poland.source: wikipedia