0 Likes

Porto di Sestri Levante (GE) ITALY
Sestri Levante
Copyright: Andrea Biffi
Type: Spherical
Resolution: 6500x3250
Taken: 18/08/2009
Uploaded: 18/08/2009
Updated: 22/05/2014
Views:

...


Tags: sestri; levante; porto; deda; andrea biffi; photo; foto; 360; pano; italia; italy
comments powered by Disqus

Erik Krause
Inside the Freiburger Muenster Open-Work Spire
Thierry Blondeau
Sommet Argentera Alpi Maritime Italie
Rolf Ris
Moremi GameparkinBotswana
Randy Kosek
Cannon Beach At Dawn
Gabor Rev
Sziget Festival 2007
Erik Krause
The farmers market around Freiburger Muenster
Rommel Bundalian
Cagayan de Oro White Water Rafting
Luciano Correa | Vista Panoramica
Pedra do Bau (stone of Bau), route Chicken & Salad - Fernando Zara climbing
Jeffrey Martin
Cruising Havana in a Coco-Taxi
Chris Witzani
Norderney shipwreck
Willy Kaemena
Banda de Ipanema
Pandu Chilakala
Karachi Bakery
Andrea Biffi
San Bernardino alle Ossa
Andrea Biffi
Collegiata di San Lorenzo a Chiavenna
Andrea Biffi
Fiera di Milano a Rho
Andrea Biffi
Stansted airport
Andrea Biffi
luminarie natalizie in Via Dante
Andrea Biffi
Monumental Cimetery in Milan
Andrea Biffi
Golden Paris
Andrea Biffi
Lungolago di Arona
Andrea Biffi
piscina sul lungolago di Stresa
Andrea Biffi
stazione Cadorna (Ferrovie Nord) a Milano
Andrea Biffi
picnic area in Dublin Zoo
Andrea Biffi
Duomo di Bressanone - Sudtirol, Italia
More About Sestri Levante

Sestri Levante is found in Luguria, approximately halfway between Genoa and La Spezia. The original part of Sestri Levante is actually on a peninsula, with the Bay of Silence on one side and Bay of the Fables on the other. Bay of the Fables or “Bay of Fairy Tales” was named in honor of Danish writer, Hans Christian Andersen, who lived in Sestri Levante for a short time in 1835.Sestri Levante has its origins as an ancient maritime and merchant center. Originally a small island with a promontory, it was later connected to the mainland. In Roman times, it was known as Segesta Tigullorum (or Tigulliorum) or simply Segesta. It was mentioned in the year 909 in a certificate of a man named Berengario, in which part of its territory was ceded to the basilica di san Giovanni di Pavia; after it was invaded by the Barbarians. During the Middle Ages, Sestri Levante began to expand, probably giving the fortress appearance that is due to the terrain.In 1133, the noble family of Lavagna, the Fieschi, attacked Tigullio, the gulf in which Sestri Levante is located, however, they were fought off by the powerful Republic of Genoa, and therefore, Sestri Levante became apart of the republic, for military protection. In the year 1145, the abbey of San Colombano was acquired by the Genoese, and was transformed later into a castle.In 1170, Sestri Levante was attacked by a naval flotilla from Pisa, but was able to withstand the attack.Sestri Levante is also mentioned by Dante (as "Siestri") in Canto 19 of "The Divine Comedy". (more on Wikipedia)