The Rector's Palace
The Rector's palace was the centre of government in the old Dubrovnik Republic. It was the home of the Rector who was elected by the Great council to represent the Republic for a month and during that time he wasn't allowed to leave the palace at anytime except on government business which completely fits into the Dubrovnik Republic principle clearly stated above the doors of the Great council hall: "Obliti privatorum, publica curate" which meant "Forget private and deal with public business".
Mainly built in gothic style this building, simple and harmonic, seems almost too modest for the once so wealthy Dubrovnik. And that is not at all surprising as it is consistent with Dubrovnik omnipresent unpretentious style of building with no exaggerated luxury. Upon entering The Rector's palace one gets the impression of the past centuries returning and holds breath as if seeing the Rector himself followed by the members of The Small council (executive government body).
The Rector's palace was built in mid 15th century by the famous Neapolitan architect Onofrio di Giordano de la Cava who also constructed the Dubrovnik's waterworks (water supply system) and the famous fountains, Big and Small Onofrio's fountains.
Later when the palace was damaged in 1463 by gunpowder explosion, it was partly reconstructed by Salvi di Michele and the local craftsman adding Renaissance elements. Resulting from damage in the Great earthquake in the year of 1667 the atrium was reconstructed to some extent in baroque style adding the final touch to the Rector's palace, the way we see it today.
The Rector's palace atrium today is one of the most impressive ambient for classical and chamber music concerts traditionally played here, especially during the Dubrovnik Summer Festival. Atrium is decorated with one small fountain in gothic style dating to the 15th century and the bust of the Dubrovnik's famous seaman and merchant Miho Pracat, the only such laurel given to the common man in The Dubrovnik Republic.
The Rector's palace today is a Cultural Historical Museum featuring authentic exhibition halls with numerous items from rich Dubrovnik history:
- Collection of Paintings
- Miscellaneous Collection
- Ceramics Collection
- Collection of Icons
- Collection of Metalwork
- Collection of Textiles
- Furniture Collection
- Glassware Collection
- Collection of Photography and photographic material
Let us just mention that the Collection of paintings includes the paintings of grandmaster's like Carracci, Tintoretto, Giorgione, Bordone and many others.
To learn more about the Rector's palace go to:
Dubrovnik City - Rector's palace