Just about as late Victorian as possible, Redbridge Town Hall was built in 1901 in the last year of the old queen's reign. Or should it really be called Ilford Town Hall. Ilford used to be in the County of Essex but more recently, by an act of Parliament, became part of Greater London. Part of the Borough of Redbridge. The Town Hall is situated on Ilford High Road, now a pedestrian precinct with shops and department stores along either side. Walking along the "high street" one can tell what a cosmopolitan place Ilford has become. People of all ethnic origins rub shoulders and second generation children all sound like one another no matter what their ethnicity.