Tramonto in rosa a Sant'Anna
Share
mail
License license
loading...
Loading ...

Panoramic photo by Andrea Biffi PRO EXPERT MAESTRO Taken 20:20, 02/08/2009 - Views loading...

Advertisement

Tramonto in rosa a Sant'Anna

The World > Europe > Italy > Liguria, Italy > Genoa > Sestri Levante

  • Like / unlike
  • thumbs up
  • thumbs down
comments powered by Disqus

Nearby images in Sestri Levante

map

B: Sestri Levante at twilight

by Andrea Biffi, 30 meters away

Sestri Levante at twilight

C: Sunset in S.Anna ruins - Sestri Levante - Italy

by Andrea Biffi, 130 meters away

Sunset in S.Anna ruins - Sestri Levante - Italy

D: Tempesta di Chiaroscuri

by Andrea Biffi, 430 meters away

Tempesta di Chiaroscuri

E: Lungomare di Sestri Levante (GE) ITALY

by Andrea Biffi, 690 meters away

Lungomare di Sestri Levante (GE) ITALY

F: Lungomare a Sestri Levante - Genova - Italy

by Andrea Biffi, 690 meters away

Lungomare a Sestri Levante - Genova - Italy

G: Lungomare a Sestri Levante

by Andrea Biffi, 850 meters away

Lungomare a Sestri Levante

H: Italian Riviera - Genova: Cavi di Lavagna view from the sea

by Pietro Madaschi, 1.0 km away

Cavi di Lavagna is a small town in the eastern coast of the Ligurian Sea, "Riviera di Levante", in th...

Italian Riviera - Genova: Cavi di Lavagna view from the sea

J: molo di Sestri Levante (GE) Italy

by Andrea Biffi, 1.3 km away

molo di Sestri Levante (GE) Italy

This panorama was taken in Sestri Levante

This is an overview of Sestri Levante

Sestri Levante is found in Luguria, approximately halfway between Genoa and La Spezia. The original part of Sestri Levante is actually on a peninsula, with the Bay of Silence on one side and Bay of the Fables on the other. Bay of the Fables or “Bay of Fairy Tales” was named in honor of Danish writer, Hans Christian Andersen, who lived in Sestri Levante for a short time in 1835.
Sestri Levante has its origins as an ancient maritime and merchant center. Originally a small island with a promontory, it was later connected to the mainland. In Roman times, it was known as Segesta Tigullorum (or Tigulliorum) or simply Segesta. It was mentioned in the year 909 in a certificate of a man named Berengario, in which part of its territory was ceded to the basilica di san Giovanni di Pavia; after it was invaded by the Barbarians. During the Middle Ages, Sestri Levante began to expand, probably giving the fortress appearance that is due to the terrain.
In 1133, the noble family of Lavagna, the Fieschi, attacked Tigullio, the gulf in which Sestri Levante is located, however, they were fought off by the powerful Republic of Genoa, and therefore, Sestri Levante became apart of the republic, for military protection. In the year 1145, the abbey of San Colombano was acquired by the Genoese, and was transformed later into a castle.
In 1170, Sestri Levante was attacked by a naval flotilla from Pisa, but was able to withstand the attack.
Sestri Levante is also mentioned by Dante (as "Siestri") in Canto 19 of "The Divine Comedy".

(more on Wikipedia)

Share this panorama