It was between 1792 and 1800, after the American Revolution, when people in the United States who remained loyal to King George had the choice of resettling in other British colonies or returning to England, that the first settlers came to the region and the town of Sutton, like many others in the Eastern Townships, became home to many loyalists.
The cemetery would only be established fifty years later in 1847 then, ten years after that, the church was be built in 1858 when the parish was founded. Numerous Roman Catholics from Vermont came here to bury their beloved, as there were few Roman Catholic cemeteries in the state at that time.
This old cemetery in Sutton is surrounded by sugar maple trees - witness of past times - and harvest season comes with the spring. Traditionally, the sap is collected by tapping a maple tree through the bark and into the wood, letting the sap run into a bucket and then boiling it down to a delicious sweet syrup.
Produced by Montreal360.ca